Refresher Course for Overseas Teachers of English
We are a specialist teacher training centre, offering a high-quality refresher course designed for English language teachers.
Our course is designed to develop your understanding and command of the English language, both for your own development and to enhance your career as a teacher.
Taught by highly-qualified teaching experts, our course focuses on improving your language teaching skills, with hands-on development of practical ideas and engaging materials to take back to the classroom.
Studying alongside teachers from many different countries, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to practise your English and share and discuss your teaching ideas and experiences.
All teachers who enrol will benefit from:
- an immersive English-speaking environment.
- unlimited access to the ITTC Study Centre and library.
- the option to take additional lessons to develop your English skills in specialist areas like ‘Business English’ at our sister language school (BEET Language Centre)
- 12 months access to our online learning platform
- evening social programme and weekend excursions with our students from BEET.
This course is for English teachers of primary, secondary or adult students.
The course has been designed for teachers who want to develop their own English and develop their teaching ideas, techniques, activities and resources.
It’s a very practical hands-on course, with plenty of opportunities to experience and discuss ideas to take back to your classroom.
The course is open to speakers of any language but you will need a minimum level of Upper Intermediate (B2 on the CEFR).
The ITTC Refresher Course brings together teachers from many different countries and is a great opportunity to share ideas and experiences.
All teachers will be asked to complete a pre-course questionnaire so we can tailor the course to meet your needs.
You may also receive Erasmus+ funding for the course through your school or organisation.
Course content – refresher course
The Refresher course lasts 1, 2 or 3 weeks and consists of 20 x 45-minute sessions per week
The course is tailored to suit teachers’ needs but will cover the following syllabus areas:
- English Language Development, e.g. pronunciation, idiomatic language and functional language for the classroom
- English Skills Development – Reading, e.g. understanding newspapers and other authentic texts
- Practical Classroom Ideas – Techniques, Activities & Resources, e.g. working with song and video, developing writing skills, recycling games & activities
- Language Teaching Methodology, e.g. analysing, conveying & checking meaning, evaluating materials and role play
There’s also the option to add 4 or 8 additional 45-minute English lessons per week – you can pick and mix from the options programme at our sister language centre “BEET’ (e.g. Business English, Academic English etc.).
You’ll also have access to the BEET Online learning platform and the opportunity to take part in additional lessons taught by trainee teachers on other ITTC courses.
Here are comments our recent trainees wanted to share:
“The course was fantastic. The lessons were well made, diversified, very interesting and above all the activities done or shown were feasible with our own students. The tutors were enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and always willing to help us. Even if the activities suggested in the evenings or at the weekend sounded great, I did not take part in them, preferring going on sightseeing tours and staying with my lovely host family. I would strongly recommend this refresher course to any other teachers.”
“I’ve refreshed my English as much as it’s possible in only two weeks and I’ve got many new ideas for teaching young learners.”
“I gained more confidence and learnt to make my lessons more interactive with a lot of interesting techniques.”
“It is good to have time for ourself, to meet people from different countries, different cultures, with different accents too! It is a good way to improve and feel more confident back home, completely refreshed!”
“I am really happy I could be here and I would definitely recommend the course to all the teachers who want to get some new fresh ideas as well as energy for their teaching career. I got plenty. Thank you!!”
Andrea, Czech Republic